Sunday, May 15, 2011

Deb Caletti

So I recently finished Deb Caletti's Honey, Baby, Sweetheart. There was a discussion between several characters about why girls/women get caught up in bad boys/men.


 "It's that easy, isn't it?" Miz June said. "I look at my grandchildren and I still see it. The boys are expected to do. Accomplish something. Seek adventure. Sure, they study for careers now, but what are girls still expected to seek? Boys. Boys get mountains, girls get boys."


 Ack! This is still so true. I wasn't encouraged to climb mountains, or broaden  my horizons. There wasn't much expected of me by my parents. They were VERY happy I graduated high school and surprised when I graduated college. Not that they ever expected me to pop out a litter of kids and move out to the valley in a doublewide. But maybe.....I know they were thrilled when I married my ex-husband and somewhat disappointed when I got divorced. I feel like they see me as a "whole person" now that I've re-married.

I think when I have children, despite their gender we will plan adventures together. Having dated my share of bad boys/men I hope I can guide my future spawn to make better choices or at least give them enough confidence in themselves and their abilities that they don't need someone else to make them feel worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment